Monday, November 22, 2010

Coaching? First session.

In March of this year, I had the opportunity to begin seeing an executive coach. To begin coaching I needed to fill-out a pre-coaching questionnaire.
-What's motivating me to get an executive coach? Encouragement from my immediate supervisor was my answer. (Obviously I was not to sure at this point if I really wanted or needed coaching?)
-What challenges do I see may interfere with the coaching? The only challenge I see is myself as learning about what I need to change/adjust is never easy. (At least I was willing to admit that I don't think change is always easy!)
-What do I want from coaching? A fresh perspective of my leadership and how I can be a better leader! (Really? Is that what I really want? That seems pretty broad. A better leader? A better person? Do I really want to change or am I happy with the status qua?)
-What would others notice to be different about me if I got what I wanted from coaching? More production? Hard to say but there is things such as events that I would love to do but haven't done yet. (All outward performance! Beyond outward results would those around me notice anything different from an inward perspective? Or do I just want outward performance?)
-How does becoming a better leader impact or change my workplace? A new zeal is always encouraging for those around me. (Wow! That is a cop-out. A new zeal what does that mean exactly?)
-What specific areas do I want to work on in coaching? (O.k. this was after my coach helped me really get specific- she has a great way of helping me to communicate succinctly!)
*Developing other people like Jesus did.
*Recruit, care, train volunteers. Strategic ministry plan for volunteer development. Have I forgotten why it's so important to have trained, inspired volunteers? Is there a good system in place for caring for volunteers? Encouraging them verbally? Training? Encouraged in their faith?
*Supervise employees better.
*Safety. Essential training! Get the message across to parents and volunteers that safety is important not only because the outward essentials of kids not getting hurt- but an unsafe environment can actually hamper a child or an entire family's spiritual health. Safety is rooted in the knowledge that I want kids to keep growing in Christ! It is important to have a safe environment in order for this to happen!
-What are important qualities to have in my coach? Directness and wisdom. (Yes, sometimes directness isn't pleasant but don't I want a coach that actually will tell me like it really is and not a deluded picture of myself? Absolutely!)

After completing the pre-coaching questionnaire, my coach gave me what I can expect from her and what she expects from me. What I really liked in this discussion was the explanation of what a coach really is- not a counselor! A counselor will look back- back into previous life experiences and events from the past. Coaching is not therapy. A coach is not your "best friend". A coach is someone who helps you look ahead to the future- plan future goals and opportunities. A coach will work with me somewhat like an apprentice- what works well, what doesn't work- now let's look ahead and work to fix whatever needs to change. The agenda must come from me. That is a new experience for me! I get to choose what to "work" on. It's up to me if coaching is effective or a waste of both my coach's and my time.

Reading "Getting More from Executive Coaching" by Lauren Keller Johnson given to me by my coach was a great help in putting this entire coaching experience into perspective. Johnson states that "a skilled executive coach can be invaluable in helping you surmount the obstacles that corporate life throws before you and make the most of the opportunities that cross your path". I was feeling a bit uncertain about coaching but this article let me know that my organization offered coaching to me because it sees me "worthy of substantial investment".

Johnson stated three things that must happen in order for coaching to be effective. I really resonated with two of these: identify my coaching goals and adopt a learning mindset. Thankfully my coach had me do the pre-coaching questionnaire which really began addressing my coaching goals. I love to learn so adopting a learning mindset isn't difficult. But am I looking to improve specific skills? Or is there a particular situation I need help navigating through? Or am I looking to position myself for a different job opportunity? In my case, I really just want to improve my specific skill set. If I am to be a substantial value to my ministry/workplace then I must be willing to learn and change! As Johnson puts it: "Expect to be challenged to find solutions, not be to given them. Look to your coach to give you fresh perspectives and help you assess the best options for important decisions. One of the most valuable services a coach can provide is a wholesale reframing of a situation you thought you'd examined from every possible angle".

O.K. I'm ready! Let's begin this journey of executive coaching! Thank you for this great opportunity to better myself in order to better my ministry to those around me!

3.10.10

No comments: