Thursday, March 22, 2007

Perfection

Perfection: the quality or state of being perfect : as a : freedom from fault or defect : FLAWLESSNESS b : MATURITY c : the quality or state of being saintly (Merriam-Webster)

Why is there such a need for perfection? Perfection in my home. Perfection in my finances. Perfection in my weight. Perfection in my relationships. Perfection as a mother. Perfection in my dress. Perfection, perfection, in all aspects of my life.

According to Healthline, "perfectionism is socially encouraged by the modern emphasis on accuracy of information and evidence of success in life". How true this is! We judge others on the basis of how good they look, how neat their home is, how their children act, etc. Therefore, why shouldn't we judge ourselves the same way?

So, perfectionism is encouraged by society. That is evident. But could it be that even though encouraged by society, the pressure for perfectionism in mostly internal? Why can we not believe what Charlotte Elliott writes so eloquently:

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Hath broken every barrier down;
Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Doesn't perfectionism fly in the face of God and say "I don't need your grace, I can look good and do good myself"? Aren't we pursuing righteousness by works just as Israel did?
The Apostle Paul write in Romans: "What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone"" (Rms. 9:31-32).

So, if our head knowledge knows perfectionism is encouraged by society, internally pressured, not coming to Christ 'just as I am' and righteousness by works, how can we get our heart to believe it? That is something I am still wrestling with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As to perfection:  I thought to attain it once in my youth and found I was not of the right stuff.  The spirit was willing but the flesh weak!  But in time I found that to Him belonged all the glory.  2 Cor 12:9-10 "He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:  for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."  Also, chapter 10:17 "he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord."
 
This does not mean that we can be slovenly in our approach to life.  On the contrary, with such an Example before us, we should strive the harder:  Phil 3:13,14  "I count not myself to have apprehended; but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect (herein lies perfection) be thus minded:"
 
Well, dear Joy, I write of that which I know so little of, but I have heard the call, and I must go to Him.  May you find your rest in His arms.