Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"Called"

How do you know that you are being "called" into ministry? After going through several interviews for a ministry position, I've been told by several caring friends that I need to be sure I have been "called" into the position. But when I press further, most I ask can not give me a solid answer as to what a "calling" looks like.
According to Michael Anthony in Management Essentials for Christian Ministries, being called in God's service can include miraculous calls such as Abraham, Moses, and Gideon in the Old Testament. However, this is unusual. In the New Testament, when Jesus began selecting his disciples, he simply told Simon Peter and Andrew to "follow me" (Mt. 4). Some people experience a deep assurance, a firm inner conviction that God has spoken to them, calling them to the work of ministry. For most ministers, however, the sense of call is more ambiguous, more tentative (http://www.exploreministry.org/).
It seems God most often chooses ministry leaders based on their inner heart condition. "Patriarchs such as Abraham Isaac, and Jacob were certainly called into a special relationship with God based on little more than the condition of their hearts and the sovereignty of God" (Anthony, p. 22). Look at King David. When God spoke to Samuel he was very clear that although men look at the "outward appearance" God is interested only at what is in the heart (1 Sam. 16:7).
So what does this mean for me? Do I only need to be sure that my inner heart is right w/ God? What about skills? David certainly did not become a King over night. The twelve disciples went through three years of mentoring side by side with Jesus before becoming a "formidable ministry team" (Anthony, p. 23) . Look at the apostle Paul. He also went through three years of "orientation" before "his engagement in the gospel ministry" (Anthony, p. 23). Although Paul was a learned scholar of Judaism, "his Arabian sabbatical was designed to train him in the true meaning behind the prophecies" (Anthony, p. 23). See Galatians 1:17 and Acts 11:19-26.
So I need my inner heart to be right with God but I also need skills and training. That is why I am at Talbot, to learn the skills I need to minister more effectively to children. That takes care of the skills and training bit. But, what about my inner heart? I can only cry as the psalmist David did in Psalm 139-"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me...Search me, O God, and know my heart".



Reference notations:
Management Essentials for Christian Ministry Edited by Michael Anthony and James Estep
Biblical References from New International Version copyright by International Bible Society
The Fund for Theological Education website www.exploreministry.org

5 comments:

Laura Springer said...

What I'm about to say may well be considered by many to be quite scandalous, but frankly (as you know), I've been in quite the scrappy mood lately:

Much of the time I think reports of "the call" are a bunch of hogwash. I've heard a countless number of ministers say they have a call, but when you ask them what they mean, they just say, "I just know" or "I feel it." I think it's just as likely the pizza they had for dinner the night before or some emotional need that runs continuously in their soul as it is the Holy Spirit. I've seen too many dismal ministers blame the Holy Spirit for what is wholly their fault.

Given that, here's my advice:

Ask:

Do my skills and experience correspond with their stated need?

Can I actively love the people in this faith community? Can my family love the people in this community?

Will my skill set, personality, and experience help expand the kingdom of God in this place and among these people?

Is there a clear PUSH from my current ministry?

Is there a clear PULL to the possible ministry?

There's my advice: use the brain God gave you; that's what it's for.

Yes, pray. Yes, meditate. Yes, listen for the voice of God. But don't hold your breath for a flash from heaven, when you've got a very useful flashlight in your hand.

Anonymous said...

Read your blog. Understand your dilemma.  Know too, that many are called but few chosen!  I have no great words of wisdom for you and your family.  This I do know, however:  If you are willing, He will use you!  Maybe great, or may be little.  A Pastor once gave me some advice as to knowing His will:  Pray earnestly for guidance.  Then take a step, believing, by faith, that He will guide your step.  If He has a work for you, you can be sure that he will guide your steps.
 
As to your preparedness:  You needn't worry.  Our Lord supplies all your needs.  you only have to be willing.  Paul and your children seem to be supportive.  The demands will be great, but He is greater than all your needs!
 
Few of those chosen were perfect; Joseph comes the closest.  All the rest are broken reeds in one way or another.  That's necessary that the glory be His alone.  It is a great test of faith you are facing.  Again, He will give you all the strength and skill you need.  you must just be willing. 
 
We can do little but bear you up before Him.  Be sure that we will pray without ceasing for you!

Jane Carr said...

Aren't we all called to ministry??? I Peter 2:5, 9

We are all called to proclaim the excellencies of God whether from a position in the business world, or behind a counter in a department store, or on the mission field, or from a position on staff at a church.

What if "ministry" is not limited to a role in the church? And what if "calling" is not limited to a place or position?

Laura Springer said...

...what jane said...

also, mom and dad's comment brought to mind a realization: Joseph's callings involved getting plopped in the middle of a great number of "situations"

So, what if calling is doing what God wants us to do where we are with the people in our midst?


btw...JANE COMMENTED ON A BLOG!!!

(and apparently has a blank "fakey" blog...for shame)

Joy said...

call: to summon to a particular activity, employment, or office

calling: 1 : a strong inner impulse toward a particular course of action especially when accompanied by conviction of divine influence
2 : the vocation or profession in which one customarily engages

Based upon these definitions, I could certainly agree that a calling can certainly be in any vocation.Why then do we only use this term when speaking of ministry positions?

ministry: the office, duties, or functions of a minister

Ministry would seem however,to be more specific to a function w/i the church.1 Peter 2:9 says "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light". This certainly shows that we are set apart, we are called to declare his praise. However,does this imply that we should all function as minister? Ephesians 4: 17-31 certainly tells us how we must live as 'children of light'. In Romans 15, Paul also reminds his readers that he needs their help in "priestly and gospel work" (The Message). I don't know the answer to this question. If ministry is not limited to a role in a church, it could certianly change our view of our present postitions.