Friday, August 3, 2007

Give me a Break!

Oh parenting. The joys and the trials. Sometimes I just need a break. Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who understands this and thus I have taken up the hobby of scrapbooking and am also furthering my level of education. However, the much needed break from my family also many times brings with it a sense of guilt. Guilt that I'm not home. Guilt that I should not feel I need a break. Guilt that I should be doing more for my children and husband. Yikes! Is this guilt justified? I do love my family dearly. I do miss them and after only a few hours away I want to be with them again. But, why do I feel guilty about needing time for myself? I believe this sense of guilt has many working mothers overgiving "stuff" to their children. Because, we can't be with our children during the day, somehow if we buy our children "stuff" it will help appease the guilt and let our children know how much we love them.
"Stuff" just doesn't do it! The end result if this path is followed is over-indulged, spoiled children. I must say that maybe some of the guilt I feel is justified. However, I would also say that much of this guilt is not from God. As mothers, especially working mothers, we are pulled in a million different directions every day. We must be productive at work and once home each evening start our second position as wife and mother. It's exhausting. And no matter what the women's liberation movement might have accomplished, the equity of the work load in the home is not a 50/50 division. Thankfully I do have a husband that helps around the home. But, even with the most helpful of husbands, women still take on the majority of the household chores.
And thus, I need a break! Should I feel guilty? Maybe if I was out every night of the week and never spent any time with my husband and children. However, if the break is a once-in-a-while sanity break, then guilt needs to take a back seat!

No comments: